Sunday, July 31, 2011

I Could Only Rescue One of Us


There are many ways
To self-mutilate

There are many ways
To self-destruct

I wanted to rescue him
He wanted to rescue her

Everyone was drowning.
I could only rescue
One of us

And that was me

Even as I watched them
Drag each other down

I had to keep swimming
For the shore.

Turning back
I only saw
Empty water
And heard the
Crying of gulls

Let me pretend
That they will live
Happily
Ever
After

Magically transformed
Into Poseiden
And a Mermaid

Happily
Ever after
In their shell.

Even though
My instincts
Know
It could only be
Painfully
Ever
After
Trapped in Hell

2 comments:

  1. Let's hope painfully ever after finally resolves after lifetimes of diligence and sacrifice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should all be happy ever after. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete