Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reinhard Rule of Riting #20

Never, EVER Underestimate How Tough, Nasty and Cruel This Business Can Be
As I limp toward the end of a run at trying to break into the Theater, which is pretty much dead unless we fight to revive it, I'm looking around me at the casualties. Too many of us get stuck in the Temporary job. I was lucky to avoid debt and can return to writing, but many didn't and can't get out of the "Temporary" job. I am planning a novel about the people who basically just live in New York City and perform for family and friends but consider themselves in Show Business because they spend Saturday night having dinner with other Show Business people. And they really just want to live in New York City, and are thus happy. We latecomers couldn't afford the rents. Thanks to Facebook, I've had a glance into Hollywood and hey! Guess what? It chews up the talented and drives them away even more efficiently than New York! The concept of "You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again" is true. But I've also met a group of Independent Film Producers and Artists who are having a grand time and making great little movies. I am trying to get theater started in Montclair, from the ground up, with readings at no cost. We are in danger of losing a generation of artists to the greed and the economy. I say we stand and fight.

1 comment: