Friday, September 17, 2010

Reinhard Rule of Riting #18

Is It Only Possible to Develop Plays in New York City?

OK, granted, they LOVE having plays developed in Colleges because the University foots the bill for the first production. However, are new plays really developed in most New York theaters or are the Play writing Classes basically just there to pay the rent and throw on a performance night at the end for friends and family. And the big productions go to the Professors of Universities. I ask this because my Nephew and Niece want me to think about moving to Seattle. Now, granted, with the Internet, there are many ways to submit a script. None of which have much punch unless you have an agent...which tend to flock to New York City. As a 60-year-old woman, I have virtually no chance but this annoying thine happened...I'm writing better than ever. However, quality of writing generally doesn't have a lot to do with it. I might love Seattle. Maybe there's a theater to work at but is the road to publishing there...or here? Do my readings in Montclair matter? What does an apartment cost in Seattle? And can I start over and make new friends. Remember, I am very, VERY weird and nonconformist. Or is that Seattle?

No comments:

Post a Comment