Saturday, October 23, 2010

Reinhard Rule of Riting #27 Get to Know Me, Get to Know all About Me

It was stunning for me to actually be recognized by serious theater folk after ten years, but then, I had made a lot of noise back then. Not actually getting productions, but the usual reading-go-round. Readings are fine, but as I say, without memorization and sets and costume, you are trying to demonstrate a full painting without the full color palate. The Dramatists Guild Woman's Initiative did show me one important fact, you have to get your name out there. I may spend too much time on Facebook, but my scripts are being read around the world because I have them posted on Google Docs. A nice ego boost to get a compliment from London. I've discovered you should always be carrying a copy of your script. One nose twitch of interest and pa-pow! In their hand. But the possibilities of ever earning a cent on the stage are next to nothing. Even if you get to Broadway, you have to defer your cut to keep it running, sometimes for years. And you cannot get bitter. You cannot demand that they understand your script. It's your job to make it work. Period. There will be no explanatory sheets handed out. You either got it or you don't and if you do...it might be too expensive or it's been done last year...yadda...yadda. Do not make this the only thing in your life. It is just too damned hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment