Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reinhard Rule of Riting #25

Your Show Comes First. No Canapes at the DG Tonight
I was excited to go to the first meeting of the Dramatists' Guild Woman's Group tonight from 6:30 to 8:00 pm in New York, but then, we had a small crisis with the readings of The Talking God. My cast and I need to sit down and talk about things tonight. We have to write up rehearsal schedules and make sure everyone is on the same page. It was a good first rehearsal the other night, but we drifted too fast into a tech run, which should be later. We were not all on the same page with schedules and the new draft of the play was not clearly marked to differentiate it from older drafts. If the performances are about the audience, the rehearsals are about the actors. I am not just the Playwright and Director, I must function as Producer because I am the one who understands the job. I fell down there, thinking it was other people. And as a female in all 3 jobs, I can't look weak. Even the most liberated of people are unaware that they see a female slightly differently if she lets them. I cannot let them see me swear or bend. I have to come in smiling, with an orderly book. They need it. They're the ones out on the stage, stripping themselves bare for me. So, no DG Canapes tonight. The Talking God has spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment