Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Reinhard Rule of Riting #3

THE FARMER AND THE CATTLEMAN CAN BE FRIENDS

After 40 years slogging at this, play writing pretty much breaks down into original scripts and adaptations. If you want to adapt great literature, the words "great literature" should not make you think, "Prithee, Farthingale, wast that thy hound I heard falling into the moat?"

The adaptation has great legs, often provides a one-woman show (Guys: anybody done a one man Hemingway?) for an actress and has the plots and the characters pretty clearly defined. The challenge is to interpret it for the stage.

For the original script writer...the challenge is that white screen in front of you. I was going to say "white sheet of paper" BUT THAT JUST SHOWS HOW OLD I AM.

Had to update my 15 year old plays
BONNIE
I called your cell phone a dozen times. Did you get my messages?
CHARLIE
Damned thing fell in the river. Pirhanas probably choked on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment