Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Widow….ACT ONE, scene thre


 (Soft guitar music plays. Lights up on THEO’s living room. THEO enters, dressed in a cocktail dress and high heels. Made up, he should resemble a young Deneuve or Audrey Hepburn. MARK enters, carrying a tray with cookies, coffee and cups. He places the tray on a low table. THEO goes to adjust the fire.)
MARK, to THEO
Is that Larry playing?
THEO, to MARK
His “Suite as T”. As in Theo. Did you enjoy dinner?
MARK
Great. You’re a terrific cook.
THEO
I only serve food I’ve created myself. I put my love into the meal and then give it to the people I care about. Almost a communion. Take. Eat. This is my body, given to you, for your sins.
(THEO picks up a cookie and holds it to MARK’s lips. A long pause. MARK takes the cookie into his mouth.  He  drinks some coffee, then stops and takes THEO’s hand and looks at it closely. THEO pulls it back.)
THEO
The jewelry smith’s curse. Liquid metal and sharp tools leaving scars.
MARK
I was looking at your manicure. There’s a name for that style, isn’t there?
THEO
French tips. I like the subtlety.
MARK
Is it all right for me to say that you look very pretty tonight?
THEO
That was the intended effect. 
MARK
Did you always want to do this? Wear high heels and all?
THEO
Actually, I never thought about it until Mother decided that I was her perfect little dress up doll and began teaching me.
MARK
She did?
THEO
Oh, yes. I’m the daughter she never had.
MARK
She wanted a girl?
THEO
No. She just wants me to want to be a girl, but I like being a boy.
MARK
So, wearing dresses doesn’t mean you want to be a woman?
THEO
You must get out of the suburbs more often. The world is not simply gay or straight. There are transvestites, transsexuals, cross dressers, leather boys, bisexuals and as many variations as there are human beings. I am an extremely feminine gay man, who prefers my lovers to be extremely masculine, but I don’t want to be a woman. I love being a man who loves men. It’s a very special gift.
MARK
A gift?
THEO
As men, we make love more sweetly, as we know what most pleases us.
MARK
Is that why?
THEO
Why I’m gay?  Oh, no. One is born that way and then, discovers the joys and benefits. Tell me, Mark...do you like lace and satin?
MARK
Not to wear. To see. On you, they’re nice.
THEO
And I prefer that you dress just like that. A wool suit. Wingtip shoes and a tie. I would hate a world without masculine and feminine, wouldn’t you?
MARK
I like to see pearls. Momma always wore them. She had a whole case full of pearls. Long ones and doubles and the tiny ones....
THEO
Seed pearls.
MARK
Those were my favorite.
THEO
Does your wife wear lace and satin?
MARK
That’s not her style.
THEO
Would you like her to wear lace and satin?
MARK
I want her to do whatever makes her comfortable.
THEO
Are you comfortable with me?
MARK
You’re  honest. I appreciate that.
THEO
Is honesty a problem in your life?
MARK
People don’t exactly lie. It’s more like they can’t face the truth, so they make up a better story to hold their lives together.
THEO
Have you ever done that?
MARK
I’m only human. Listen. I want to thank you for Summer. Larry would of never had a child on his own, but you got him to do it and you can see Larry in her little face and it’s like he’s still alive in her and that’s great! Amazing.
THEO
She was so adorable this morning, lining up her dolls and bears and telling them all about her new Uncle. They were firmly warned to be on best behavior.
MARK
They were all perfect ladies and gentlemen. I couldn’t help but notice that there seem to be two Ken dolls living together in the Malibu Dream House?
THEO
According to Summer, they’re Ken and Kiki. Kiki’s been known to appear dressed in Barbie’s more spectacular ensembles and dance around to numbers Summer heard at Mother’s nightclub. I’m proud to say she knows every word of “Copacabana.” Will Tracey be all right with that when she comes to play?
MARK
Oh, Tracey’s great. She’ll accept anything as long as there’s cookies.
THEO
The key to gay rights...bring cookies. I’m sorry Caroline had to miss dinner. I do hope she can make it tonight. Does she work late often?
MARK
More and more lately.
THEO
Is something wrong?
MARK
I am. Some kind of post graduate blues. We’ll work it out.
(The music acquires a bit of a beat. THEO begins to dance. MARK sits back on the couch and watches. THEO dances closer and takes MARK’s hands.)
THEO
Dance with me.
MARK
Do I lead?
THEO
I rather abdicated the role when I put on high heels.
(MARK stands an they begin to dance. MARK puts his hands around THEO’s waist. THEO slides his arms around MARK’s neck. They dance slowly.)
THEO
There’s nothing nicer than a man who can dance.
MARK
That’s what Momma always said when she dragged me to lessons.
THEO
What would she have thought of me?
MARK
She’d of asked you a thousand questions. She’d of loved Summer. You both would of adored her. Is this dress silk?
THEO
Yes.
MARK
Where’s the lace and satin?
THEO
Underneath. And yes, garters are involved. Oh. A tingle all through you. I think I know your secret, Mark. You love the feminine. Soft and sweet. Leaning on your strong shoulder. I don’t think you’ve ever met a woman who was woman enough for you. 
MARK
I believe in Feminism.
THEO
You can have both.
MARK
Femininity is just biology, really.
THEO
Science?
MARK
Exactly. Trying to attract the male for procreation.
THEO
Or pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment